Friday 24 September 2010

First Impressions - Sunday 8th August

Llanbedrog, 8 to 12 knots southerly

It had been 15 years since I sold K3942, my trusty old Magnum 8.  Despite working hard on stamina and upper body strength (thank you, Concept 2!) there was a little trepidation.  Being a runner and spending much of the day-job static in awkward positions, I am not the most supple.  In the Magnum 8 I was never any good at leaping over the wing into the boat, preferring to step around the front by the shroud.  So it was with great relief that I found that getting in wasn't a big deal! Getting to the tiller extension was more entertaining (for those on shore!), especially when it was trapped under the opposite wing.  Although Cookie said that having tiller-centralising elastic would reduce feel, it seems sensible for me to use it for a while... 

Two other issues - one amateur, one not.  I learnt very quickly that it's worth cranking on the cunnigham as soon as the mast is up, or else the cams jump off, which is very annoying (particularly when out sailing!)  The other was that the ride-height adjuster kept slipping on - and then off - the barrel, which was a little annoying.

As for first-time foiling... it was 8-12 knots, which was perfect, but there was a fair chop as it was a southerly. Once I bore off onto a reach LC just lifted slowly and took off - no dramas at all.  So, so smooth and just an unbelievable feeling. Unfortunately, it was too sheltered under the headland to fly past George in the Optimist (Idris) or Tony taking big George, Eleanor and Emily out in succession in the Laser.  Fly by's another time!

Thanks Tony, for helping me rig and getting me down to the water.  Sailing with the tide out was always going to be a complete pain...

I left Katherine and the children in Wales and had to go back to work on Sunday night.  I went to sleep swooping over the waves at 20 knots - absolute heaven...  Monday was like walking on air - a few bruises but no sore muscles.  I probably had an ear to ear grin underneath my mask.  Having a full operating list was not enough to take my mind off that wonderful first impression...

No comments:

Post a Comment