Wednesday 6 October 2010

Three wings or two?

Healthy debate about the pushing the rules is central to any development class.

I've been attracted back into the Moth class after a fond five year furtle 20 years ago as a student.  Then, I couldn't afford a new boat (a Payne family cast-off would do!); now, aged a-decade-and-a-month-older-than-Cookie, I can afford a new boat but will likely lack the time in the boat to compete to my potential.  Does that matter? Of course not.  Foiling itself is such an amazing sensation and skill that it will keep me smiling, mesmerised and laughing my head off as I soar, launch skywards and cartwheel until I build myself a carbon Zimmer frame (with wings, wheels and no brakes). 

I'm not yet a circuit participant and it'll be a while until I am.  Would I have been put off from joining the class by the top class sailors using wing-sails? No. Will I ever be good enough to sail one without breaking it in a cartwheel? No. Does that matter? No.

I don't believe that allowing the wing will affect recreational or occasional circuit sailors at all.  Circuit regulars and Olympic hot shots? It'll take a fair induction in the class until it is sensible to use one (unless the wings are bullet-proof).  But who can step into the class and win straightway at present? Cost allegedly isn't an issue - it's expensive enough to hit the front and Adam doesn't reckon wings would work out any more expensive than conventional rig (apart from the cost of a cartwheel)  The logistics of storage and transport? Yes, it's nice to roll up a sail, but that's not an issue either.  I agree with Mike Lennon - it's the easy supply of quality products that are great out of the box (like my Ninja!) that has allowed the class to grow rapidly and reach beyond those with the time and skills to self-build.  But I really don't think the class will go backwards by adopting the wing - the product will remain superb with my Hyde soft sail!

And how to restrict it?  Easy - the mast has to go through a ring of a certain diameter and the sail has to roll up.

If some want to spend time and money developing wing-sails, let them.  It's not going to put new recuits off joining the class - foiling is still pretty radical.  Let those that want them have three wings - I'll be fine with my two...

No comments:

Post a Comment